Jocelyn Rish's picture

Kickin’ It Old School

Old School ScheduleBrian mocked me for doing this, but it made planning the shooting schedule so much easier.  We have the EP scheduling software, but even though it has a snazzy drag-n-drop feature for the scenes, I find it tricky to read the scene strips.  The characters are assigned numbers, so I have to remember if the cat is 3 or 4, etc.  The strips are all the same size, so it’s difficult to tell at a glance if the scene is long or short.  The software does a lot of cool stuff, but I was having a hard time figuring out an ideal schedule that took into account actor availability, wardrobe/makeup changes, and whether a set was already lit or not.  So I decided it was time for an arts & crafts project. 

I cut/taped index cards to visually represent the length of each scene.  Then I listed the characters in the scene in their assigned color.  Each set also had its own color, which I used to write the scene number and description.  I also wrote in any special notes, like whether the scene was emotionally demanding or whether a drastic hair/makeup change was needed. 

I laid them out on Brian’s kitchen table, and we were able to experiment with combinations, then see at a glance if the schedule was balanced or had any snags.  Once we were happy with it, we plugged the finalized schedule back into the software.  I know it’s ironic that the gal who works at a software company preferred to use index cards, but the system worked great.  And even with the cutting, taping, and fun with markers, I still think we figured out the schedule faster (and with a more logical design) than we would have while squinting at small strips on the screen trying to remember who the heck 7 is.  And despite the initial mocking, I think Brian liked my system too!